Look up registration for car
Vehicle Record Searches
Requesting a Vehicle Record Search of Another Person
Colorado State law and the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) state that the department shall not disclose or otherwise make available to any person or entity personal information about any individual obtained by the department in connection with a motor vehicle.
For a person to purchase a record other than their own, they must declare their intended use of that record, or they must have the signature of the person in interest authorizing them to inspect the record.
Requesting Your Vehicle Record Search
Record searches are available for vehicles based on VIN, plate number or title number. To protect personal identification information, record searches may not be completed based on owner name. The department maintains imaged records for seven years plus the current year only. If there is a record in the motor vehicle system, the search will provide the vehicle description, the lien information, if there is a lien on the vehicle, and the name and mailing address of the owner, when appropriate.
- The Department requires that the DR 2489A Motor Vehicle Requestor Release Affidavit of Intended Use be completed for all record search and title history requests.
- The Motor Vehicle Requestor Release Affidavit of Intended Use must include the VIN, name and address of the requestor, Secure and Verifiable Identification, firm name (if applicable), date, signature and one box checked for ‘approved permissible use’. Depending upon the ‘approved permissible use,’ other documents may be required.
- The Affidavit of Intended Use (part of the DR 2489A) must include the intended use of the record and why the person is requesting a title search or history. Copies of additional documents may be required to determine if information may be released to be in compliance with DPPA.
- A Certified VIN Inspection will be required prior to providing any personal identification information reflected on the vehicle record. (Owner name, address, etc.)
- Note: A copy of the Certified VIN inspection should be submitted, as it will not be returned to the customer.
- A fee of $2.20 per search/history, payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue must be submitted. For certified records, an additional $.50 per title record or title history request must be submitted. Exact amount due must be remitted; no refunds will be issued.
- Walk-in requests for records are available at 1881 Pierce Street, Lakewood, CO.
- Mail-in requests should be sent to the Colorado Title & Registration Section, PO BOX 173350, Denver, Colorado 80217-3350.
When Will I Receive My Vehicle Record Search?
If the department determines the information should be released, the current title information will be mailed in approximately 3 weeks from receipt of the request. Written notification will be sent to the applicant for all requests that the department determines will not be provided. In those cases the applicant can pursue a subpoena or court order.